Chief: Foul play unlikely in death

PARKERSBURG – City police are investigating the death of a man who apparently was injured while fleeing the scene of an alleged domestic violence incident.

Paul Dewayne Blosser, 38, of Parkersburg died Tuesday after being taken off life support at Camden Clark Medical Center, four days after being brought there, according to a release from Parkersburg Police Chief Joe Martin.

Martin said in an interview that police do not believe foul play was involved, but they are trying to rule it out.

“We were just making sure that there wasn’t another party involved that wasn’t on the scene,” he said.

According to the release, police were called to 501 32nd St., the trailer park where Blosser shared a residence with his girlfriend, around 8:47 p.m. Friday to investigate a domestic dispute. Two officers responded, one interviewing the girlfriend, who claimed she and Blosser were involved in a physical altercation, while the other canvassed the neighborhood for witnesses, Martin said.

The woman, whose name Martin said was not being released pending completion of the investigation, told the officer Blosser was heavily intoxicated, became angry at her and took her purse. The man allegedly struck her in the face before fleeing the residence, the release says.

The second officer located a neighbor who said she saw Blosser running from the residence, then stumble and fall against a nearby mobile home, the release says. He got up and fell a second time, this time landing on the corner of a concrete pad, Martin said.

“She said he just rolled over and he just wouldn’t wake up,” he said.

Officers found Blosser unresponsive about 100 yards from his home and called for emergency medical services, the release says. He was taken to Camden Clark and placed in the intensive care unit, but he never regained consciousness.

Blosser’s body was taken to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Charleston, where an autopsy was conducted Wednesday. Martin said results are not expected until today at the earliest.

Martin said there is evidence supporting the initial domestic violence claim and no immediate indication anything else happened to Blosser. Initial tests showed a high blood-alcohol level for him, which could have been a contributing factor in his death, the chief said.

“We just want to make sure that we’re not just taking the words of these folks that witnessed it,” he said.

Martin said officers would do another canvass of the neighborhood to see if any other witnesses could be located.