Second half goal splurge carries South

PARKERSBURG -In its season-opener, the offensive pace for the Parkersburg South boys soccer team was not conducive to scoring goals.

In the second half, the Patriots slowed down the tempo and enjoyed better results while netting six goals in an 8-1 victory against Cambridge Friday night at Erickson All-Sports Facility.

“In the first half, the boys were excited and pushing the ball too far,” South coach Ed Ayers. “Instead of getting a good clean shot they were wanting a goal. So at halftime we talked about getting it slowed down.”

Midfielder Vincent Scalise was the beneficiary of some fine passing, especially from childhood friend Jay Davila, who scored his first varsity goal on one of three assists from Scalise.

On two of a handful occasions, Scalise escaped on a breakaway downfield and went one-on-one with the Cambridge keeper. Both times, Scalise found the back of the net and the senior finished with a hat trick after scoring three goals.

“I’m very happy about the three goals, but I could not have done it without the assists from my teammates – it was a good team effort,” Scalise said. “The first half was tough, but we kept on trying and pushing the defense while making runs through them.

In the second half, we slowed the pace of the game down. We found some passes and finished our shots.

“On some of those breakaways, you are used to the keeper coming out and pressing the ball, so that’s why in the first half some of our shots were forced and not timed correctly.”

While South improved to 1-0 with Linsly coming to Erickson All-Sports Facility for a 2 p.m. varsity match today, Cambridge remained winless at 0-3. The Bobcats, who have graduated a total of 20 players from its program in the past two years, had been outscored 20-1 in their first two matches but held South at bay throughout the first half and trailed by only a goal for the first 30 minutes before Davila’s assist on Scalise’s first goal of the match put the Patriots on top 2-0.

The only goal of the first half occurred seven minutes into the match on Mason Hupp’s goal.

South showed a smarter approach in the second half and ripped off four goals in the first 15 minutes, including two from Scalise and one apiece from Davila and Weston Ayers.

With the South advantage at 6-0, the Patriot reserves dominated the action in the latter part of the second half and manufactured goals from Dylan Hall and Bradley Stump.

The one hiccup experienced by South occurred at the 5:06 mark of the second half. Adam Fox, who was responsible for Cambridge’s only goal entering the night, sent a corner kick past the Patriot keeper and ruined the shutout bid with his second goal of the season.

“We’re still moving guys around because last year we lost nine starters,” coach Ayers said. “Saturday, we play Linsly and they are going to be a contender this year. They have a lot of good players back from last year, so that match will show us what we got.”