Two arrested after car chase

PARKERSBURG – Two people were arrested for charges including child neglect after fleeing from deputies with a 4-month-old child in the car Tuesday evening, officials said.

Stephen Michael Wells, 25, and Jessica Ann Teters, 18, were arrested on Tuesday after fleeing from deputies, said Chief Deputy Shawn Graham with the Wood County Sheriff’s Office.

The address listed for Wells and Teters is Meadowbrook Acres in Parkersburg according to the Wood County Sheriff’s Office, Graham said.

Wells was charged with felony child neglect creating risk of injury, felony malicious assault, felony fleeing in a vehicle, driving on a suspended license and fleeing on foot, Graham. He was arraigned in magistrate court on Wednesday and failed to post a bail of $606,000, Graham said.

Teters was charged with felony child neglect creating risk of injury, Graham said. Charges of fleeing in a vehicle and no operator’s permit are pending against her, Graham said. Teters was arraigned and failed to post a bail of $303,000, Graham said.

Both were being housed at the North Central Regional Jail Wednesday evening.

Wells and Teters fled from sheriff’s deputies with a 4-month-old boy in the car, Graham said. Child Protective Services was summoned and took the child into its custody Tuesday, he said.

On Tuesday, a deputy was summoned to Meadowbrook Acres in reference to a hit-and-run situation, said a report issued by the Wood County Sheriff’s Office.

Sometime on Tuesday, Kevin Davis of Lubeck Lane reported that his vehicle had been broken into during the night and that a couple of dollars in change as well as a Sony CD player had been stolen, the report said.

He also stated that the dash had been damaged when the CD player had been taken, the report said.

Davis learned through Facebook that Wells was allegedly attempting to sell the stolen items from his car at Wal-Mart, the sheriff’s report said.

After figuring out where Wells lived, Davis went to his home at Meadowbrook Acres to retrieve his stolen property, the report said.

Davis allegedly confronted Wells about the stolen property, the report said. Davis and another person attempted to block Wells’s vehicle until deputies could arrive at the scene, the report said.

Wells accelerated his vehicle and struck Davis, the report said.

Davis grabbed onto the vehicle, a 2001 Cadillac DeVille, and attempted to hang onto the hood but was thrown off and landed against a fence, Graham said.

Davis was taken to Camden Clark Medical Center for his injuries after deputies found him injured and leaning on a fence near the road, the report said.

Davis was treated for his injuries and released from CCMC, said Tim Brunicardi, director of marketing and public affairs for Camden Clark.

Before Davis was taken to CCMC, he described the DeVille Wells was driving and identified Wells to the deputies, Graham said.

Deputy Ryan Windland found Wells at the 7-Eleven on Gihon Road, Graham said.

Wells initially fled in his vehicle with Teters in the passenger’s seat, Graham said. The chase lasted for several minutes, during which time Wells passed three vehicles on a double yellow line, some during curves in the road, and ignored several stop signs, Graham said.

Wells drove the vehicle into a ditch, then jumped out of the still-moving vehicle and fled on foot, Graham said.

At this time, Teters moved herself to the driver’s seat and drove the vehicle away from the scene, Graham said.

Windland pursued Teters for approximately one block before he decided to pursue Wells instead, Graham said.

Windland chased Wells on foot and arrested him, Graham said. Teters, the vehicle and the 4-month-old baby were gone when Windland returned, Graham said.

Witnesses informed Windland that Teters had driven off at a high rate of speed while he was arresting Wells, Graham said.

Another deputy later spotted Teters near the original scene of the hit and run, Graham said. Teters responded when she was later asked to speak with deputies and was arrested, Graham said.

The 4-month-old boy was uninjured during the two-fold chase, Graham said. He was taken by CPS on Tuesday evening, Graham said.

An update was not available on the child Wednesday evening.

A search warrant was issued for the DeVille for stolen property, Graham said.

An unidentified female who lives with Wells and Teters brought out four speakers from the residence and these were claimed by two individuals who had earlier reported them as stolen from their vehicles, Graham said.

Other electronics were recovered from the DeVille when it was searched, Graham said.