Johnson listed in serious condition

PARKERSBURG – A man shot by Parkersburg police this week is in serious condition and under constant guard at Ruby Memorial Hospital, officials said Friday.

Christopher Paul Johnson, 42, of 2503 Lincoln Ave., Parkersburg, was reportedly shot four times by two Parkersburg Police officers Tuesday after he refused to put down a gun he’d pointed at one of the officers during a traffic stop at Washington Avenue and Plum Street.

The shooting occurred minutes after three plainclothes Parkersburg detectives attempted to apprehend Johnson on a felony warrant for conspiracy to deliver a controlled substance and he escaped after pointing a gun at one of them.

Johnson was taken by medical helicopter from Camden Clark Medical Center’s Memorial Campus to Ruby Memorial Hospital, where he’d been in critical condition. A hospital spokeswoman said Friday his condition was now listed as serious.

It is believed that Johnson will survive his wounds, said Sgt. J.E. Stout, with the West Virginia State Police’s Parkersburg detachment.

“It’s likely that he will,” Stout said.

Because the shooting involved two Parkersburg police officers – Lt. G.D. Nangle and Patrolman M.L. Bosley – the State Police are investigating. In addition to determining whether the shooting was justified, any charges against Johnson would also come from the State Police, Stout said.

Currently, Johnson is being guarded around the clock, Stout said.

“We’ve got a trooper up there 24 hours a day ’til he gets out,” he said. “Because there was an active warrant on him at the time of the incident, we can’t let him go.”

Stout said the investigation is ongoing, with ballistics evidence having been sent to the state crime lab.

“It will take a couple of weeks” to get results back, he said.

Meanwhile, statements from witnesses obtained by State Police and Wood County sheriff’s deputies who assisted in the investigation are being collected and sorted, Stout said.

Nangle and Bosley are on administrative duty, and the city Police Department is conducting its own internal review. Police Chief Joe Martin has said he believes the officers acted properly and he supports them “100 percent.”