Great Bowls of Fire Chili Cookoff update
Less than three weeks from today, we will be having an awesome time at Point Park for the third annual Great Bowls of Fire Chili Cookoff from noon to 3 p.m. Oct. 12. More than 20 groups and individuals making chili have been perfecting their recipes, past winners have titles to defend and all the preparations are being finalized.
Organized by the MOV Chamber and the Parkersburg Area Jaycees, the Chili Cookoff combines delicious food with great entertainment from the band Hit Parade and beautiful river views. While most Chamber events are limited to Chamber members, the Great Bowls of Fire Chili Cookoff is our annual forte into hosting an event for the entire community to enjoy.
What more could we ask for?
Great weather (more on this below) and at least 500 of our closest friends, co-workers and family to attend and support our event.
Advance ticket sales launched on Sept. 13. A ticket to the Great Bowls of Fire Chili Cookoff gains you admission to the event, the opportunity to try ALL the chilis included in admission, hours of great musical entertainment, and the chance to vote for your favorite chili in the Peoples Choice contest. Beverage purchases are not included in the price of the admission ticket. We are proud to once again partner with Pepsi for soft drinks and the North End Tavern as our beer vendor.
We’ve also added a special mayor’s competition so this is also your chance to try the chili recipes of the mayors of Parkersburg, Vienna, Williamstown, North Hills, Belpre and Marietta! Each one is telling the others that they will win for their respective city – uh oh, there can only be one winning mayor. Who will it be?
Advance tickets are $10 per person for employees of Chamber members (you can confirm if your employer is a member of the Chamber by checking out the on-line directory at www.movchamber.org) and $12 per person for the general public. Purchasing your tickets in advance helps our event committee plan accordingly, plus you get savings over purchasing tickets at the door. On the day of the event, all tickets are $15 at the door for all attendees.
Stop by any one of the following Chamber members before Oct. 11 during normal business hours to purchase your advance tickets to the Great Bowls of Fire Chili Cookoff:
* The Blennerhassett Hotel, 320 Market St.
* Coldwell Banker Landmark Realtors, 3201 Murdoch Ave.
* Community Bank, 631 Juliana St.
* Cox Family Pharmacy, 1212 Garfield Ave.
* EPI Insulation Co., 2901 Loomis Ridge Road
* Gary Rhodes Agency, 3016 Seventh St.
* Huntington Bank, 429 Market St.
* Mother Earth Foods, 1638 19th St.
* Murray Sheet Metal, 3112 Seventh St.
* Ohio Valley University, 1 Campus View Drive, Vienna
* Shirt Tales, 409 31st St., Vienna
* United Bank, 514 Market St.
* United Bank, 1 Rosemar Circle
* Vision Care Associates, 2014 Dudley Ave.
* WesBanco Bank, 415 Market St.
* WesBanco Bank, 410 Grand Central Ave., Vienna
* Chamber of Commerce, 409 Market St.
In addition to savings on the price of your ticket, the first 200 that purchase advance tickets receive a special commemorative Great Bowls of Fire Chili Cookoff beer mug.
Your advance ticket will be specially marked and you will receive your mug at the event on Oct. 12.
Thank you to our great Chili Cookoff committee led by Lindsey Anderson with United Bank and to these wonderful Great Bowls of Fire Chili Cookoff sponsors:
Platinum: Burger King/Qdoba Mexican Grill/Charton Management
Trophy: Camden Clark Medical Center
Silver: Alice Harris CPA, The Blennerhassett Hotel, Sam’s Club and Par Mar Stores
Bronze: Mother Earth Foods, Huntington Bank, United Bank, CAS Cable, Grand Pointe Conference Center, WesBanco and EPI Insulation Co.
In-kind: The Parkersburg News & Sentinel, Pepsi Cola, Monkey Business Photography and Downtown PKB
Back to the comment about wanting great weather, the Great Bowls of Fire Chili Cookoff is held rain or shine. But thanks to the generosity of the city of Parkersburg, we have been offered the use of the new indoor Farmer’s Market building located just outside the floodwall in the event of inclement weather on the day of our event. So, all we really ask for is that you purchase a ticket and plan to sample delicious chilis and support a great community event!
Upcoming Chamber events
* Microtel Inn by Wyndham Grand Opening, 3-5 p.m. Wednesday, 94 Old Nicholette Road, Mineral Wells. Free for Chamber members; no registration required.
* September Business After Hours hosted by Northwestern Mutual, 4:30-6:30 p.m. Thursday, 2519 Ohio Ave., Parkersburg. Free for Chamber members; $20 for non-members
Register on-line at www.movchamber.org
* * *
Jill Parsons is the president/CEO of the Chamber of Commerce fthe Mid-Ohio Valley.