Patriots top University

PARKERSBURG – A quartet of seniors found the back of the net here Thursday night at the Erickson All-Sports Facility as host Parkersburg South cruised to an easy 4-1 soccer victory against University.

Patriot sophomore keeper Adam Colteryahn would’ve had a shutout if not for an own goal that University (1-2) was credited with in the 50th minute, which cut Parkersburg South’s 2-0 cushion in half.

Parkersburg South, which plays host to rival Parkersburg at 7 p.m. Saturday, put one on the scoreboard in the 7th minute when Dillon Dowler fed Lincoln Morgan, who sent the ball ahead to Brett Mattson. Although Hawk keeper Cole Frasher tried his best, Mattson chipped the ball over his head and it deflected through his fingertips and went in.

A perfect cross from Wyatt Parsons led to Franklin Miller’s goal in the 33rd minute. Miller had a chance to make it 3-0 going into intermission, but he couldn’t convert near the net.

Just before the own goal occurred, University had a golden opportunity when Tyler Hart tried to score on a tight angle to the far post, but a diving Colteryahn was able to deflect the rolling shot.

Patriot Vincent Scalise, shortly after the own goal, had a good look and nearly made it 3-1, but his shot went just right of the post.

In the 55th minute, the Patriots of head coach Ed Ayers gained some breathing room when Dowler booted in a direct kick from just outside the 18 that squeezed in between Frasher’s leaping attempt to defend and the post.

Shortly after it was 3-1, Hawk Alex Gutierrez had a nearside shot that looked like it would be trouble for the Patriots, but defender Andrew Steele was able to block it. After that, University’s Holden Talton had a pair of chances, but his header and a later chip shot were both too strong and went above the goal.

The Patriots put the finishing touch on their first win of the campaign in two attempts during the 75th minute. Parsons, who had the ball on the right side, sent a cross toward the far post. He was awarded the assist when Peter Puschautz raced to the post and was able to touch it in.