Children’s Home Society gets new office location

PARKERSBURG – The Children’s Home Society of West Virginia held an open house Tuesday to showcase its new location on St. Marys Avenue.

Officials and others involved with the organization provided the community with information on how the children’s home society operates as a private, nonprofit child welfare organization. Mayor Bob Newell of Parkersburg and Mayor Randy Rapp of Vienna, along with legislators, were invited to attend.

Carna Metheny-White, Child and Family Service supervisor, said the event was to show the community what the organization does in providing programs to strengthen families.

“Child welfare services are always evolving and changing,” she said. “How we grow (sometimes depends on) what funds are out there and available.”

The program has moved less than a block from the previous location to 1717 St. Marys Ave.

Metheny-White said the society hopes the new location will be easier for community members to access. The children’s home society provides clothing and food for underprivileged youth.

Funding for the society comes through grants for the organization’s 13 program areas, including emergency child shelters, foster care, adoption, mentoring, early intervention and other family-support programs.

Being the largest chapter in the state, Metheney-White said it is important to have the children’s home society in an area of Parkersburg that is easy to walk to and on the city’s busline.

Shelley Plauche, site manager and regional director of the society, said the organization is excited about the move and gaining a more defined space.

“It gives us more space; it’s easily accessible for all of the people who need our services,” she said.

Plauche said the organization is important to the neighborhood. The open house was to raise awareness about the services provided to children in the community, she added.

The children’s home society is always looking for foster and adoptive parents in the community, Plauche said. Inquiries can be made in the office or by calling officials at 304-485-0650.