Police: Man overdosed on prescription drugs
PARKERSBURG – A Parkersburg man found dead Thursday morning apparently died from an overdose of prescription drugs, the Parkersburg Police Department said.
Lawrence A. Wix, 28, Pinewood Village, was discovered shortly before 7:30 a.m., Chief Joe Martin said. The preliminary investigation indicates he died from prescription medications, Martin said.
Originally, police believed illegal drugs may have been involved although their investigation showed no signs of illegal activity, he said. Wix’s girlfriend told police the two were partying, Martin said.
“Our initial investigation did not discover illicit drugs,” Martin said. “We have information to believe prescription medication may have facilitated (the man’s) death.”
Police are awaiting a toxicology report from the West Virginia Medical Examiner, Martin said.
The death is at least the second to occur this year from an overdose. Police also have responded to at least a half-dozen medical calls related to heroin overdoses, officials said.
On Jan. 12, a 27-year-old woman died of a suspected heroin overdose, the department said. The woman’s name has not been released.
On Jan. 11, Charles Andrew Wade, 29, of 36th Street, Parkersburg, was charged with possession of a controlled substance after he was found unconscious on the bathroom floor at the 7-Eleven on Gihon Road.
In January, two people overdosed on heroin at a home where a 22-year-old woman and a 31-year-old man were found unresponsive and in a separate incident in January officers found an unresponsive 30-year-old woman at a north end apartment complex.