Man arrested in Marietta stabbing

MARIETTA – Bond was set at $35,000 Wednesday for a Marietta resident who allegedly stabbed a man late Tuesday night and apologized before fleeing.

Ronald W. Fisher, 38, of 715 Greene St., was arrested by Marietta Police on a charge of second-degree felonious assault for allegedly stabbing William J. Williams in the victim’s 833 Second St. apartment.

According to a statement of facts provided by the police department, Williams said someone started knocking, then banging, on his door Tuesday night. When he started to open the door, Fisher came in and stabbed him in the back of his left leg, the report says.

Williams said he’d never seen the suspect before. He described the blade as about 4 inches long.

The report says Williams headed for the kitchen and Fisher followed him and began punching him in and around the head. Williams then shouted at the suspect, asking him what he was doing and said he’d stabbed him. Fisher reportedly said, “No, I didn’t,” then apologized and told Williams his name.

After Williams showed Fisher the blood from the wound, the report says, Fisher left the apartment.

Police were dispatched to the scene at 11:07 p.m. A description of the red Dodge Durango in which Fisher fled was obtained, and another officer stopped the vehicle at Third and Butler streets minutes later.

Williams was taken to Marietta Memorial Hospital, where he was treated and released, Marietta Police Capt. Jeff Waite said. Fisher was brought back to the apartment, where a woman living there and a teen who’d been in the apartment at the time of the stabbing identified him, the report says.

At the police station, Fisher reportedly made a written confession.

The report does not mention a possible motive.

“We believe it was over relationship issues, not necessarily (Fisher’s),” Waite said.

There was no mention in the report of Fisher being under the influence of alcohol or any other controlled substance.

Fisher was arraigned by video Wednesday in Marietta Municipal Court. He remained in custody at the Washington County Jail Wednesday afternoon.